Breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery procedure in which saline or silicone breast implants are inserted under the skin to create larger breasts. It can also be referred to as breast enlargement, a ‘boob job’ (as many of our patients like to call it) or augmentation mammoplasty.
Although statistical data is not collected in Australia for cosmetic surgery procedures, The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons generally accepts that there has been a big rise in the number of breast augmentation procedures performed in the past 10 years – our own experience certainly supports that theory.
The data obtained from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons has Breast Augmentation as the number one cosmetic surgical procedure for 2014 with over 280,000 procedures performed.
As Patient Educators, we are the first point of contact for those considering breast augmentation surgery. We believe information is vital when making an informed decision about any surgical procedure and it is for this reason that we offer a Patient Education appointment (or PE) for all patients considering surgery. We spend time getting to know the patient, listen to their concerns, answer any questions, give an indication of the costs involved and inform them about Dr Moss’ techniques and results.
We find patients considering breast augmentation surgery generally fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Younger women who want a volume increase – resulting in a more noticeable cleavage and upper breast fullness to look better in and out of clothes.
- Mums that have breastfed, and in their own words tell us, ‘The baby has sucked the life out of my breasts – I want them back again!’ These patients want to improve their overall shape rather than volume.
- Older women who want to get their breasts back to looking the way they did before children or weight fluctuations.
- Women who want to improve their self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Those who want to bring their body into proportion to improve their look in clothes and feel more feminine and sexy.
No matter what the reason, the one thing most of our patients have in common is a desire for a natural looking result.
You can find out more about breast augmentation surgery by visiting our website.
Stacey & Olivia – Patient Educators
Chris Moss Plastic Surgery